A Higher National Diploma (HND) is a work-related course provided by higher and further education colleges. A full-time HND takes two years to complete and is equivalent to two years at university.
Unlike many degrees, these courses are vocationally focused and therefore can lead straight on to a career. Moreover, they’re a great stepping stone up to a higher qualification, as you can choose to ‘top up’ an HND or HNC with extra studies at a later date, in order to convert it to a full bachelor’s degree.
This HND Fashion Textiles course is a highly creative, design-led course that embraces all aspects of surface decoration, fabric construction, drawing and design development related to fashion, interior, and accessory design. This includes printed textiles, weave, knit, machine and hand embroidery. This course is for those who wish to pursue a career in the fashion and textiles industry. You will gain high level and specialist training in how to present and exhibit your work to industry standard and how to realise your fashion collection from idea to catwalk.
Throughout the course, you will be encouraged and guided to develop your own practice by combining practical skills, drawing and design development and the awareness of its application within the creative industries. You will learn a broad range of skills that will be applicable to a variety of creative career pathways.
Throughout the course you will study:
• Screen printing for both fashion and interiors
• Fabric manipulation and surface decoration skills
• Machine and hand embroidery
• Drawing and media exploration in relation to design development
• Knitted and woven textiles
• Construction technical skills
• Sketch book development and exploration
• Design process
• Digital imaging and its application in design
• Creative research and its context in design
The course will provide you with real industry experience working on live projects, as well as gaining invaluable knowledge through optional internships and work experience. You will be encouraged to enter prestigious competitions in order to market yourself as a designer and will have the opportunity to take part in the College’s annual fashion show.
1. Minimum age: 16 years, mature student (over 19) are also accepted, subject to Professional reference and
2. Matriculation, O’levels